I’m a pretty introspective person. When something happens *to* me, I usually mentally remove myself from the situation in order to try and understand it. I don’t know why. As of last year, I had been a teacher for 8 years. Maybe it’s in my nature.
Here recently, I was nominated for two awards: A Liebster Award and The Versatile Blogger Award.
Which made me question the true definition of nomination. Of award. What’s the point? Why do we do it? And, most importantly – does it matter?
Oh yes, dear and friendly readers – this actually DOES run the trails in my head. Like a hamster on crack. Or Coca-Cola. Same thing. [Insert political banter here]
I searched TEDtalks, because I love it more than cable. And, honestly – I find it more a refreshing source of knowledge than *ahem* … that search engine. But, being a 21st century semi-luddite and instant-access addict AND failing to find THE answer in less than 0.00000096 seconds (is that even measurable because it’s plural?), I gave up.
Oh yes. The joy of being an adult.
I was able to find someone else that hung around in the internet forest a little longer than I did – who found a sort of origin for the Liebster Award. According to Sopphey at Sopphey Says, “The real “gist” of the Liebster Award is that there is no real award. There are no judges, no special rules. No website with an official team to congratulate you and hold your hand. It’s mostly what you want it to be. If you receive the award, you can 1) accept it and 2) pass it along. It’s that easy.” … She really does make it seem easy.
I like that she said: “It’s mostly what you want it to be.” Awards are like that – Liebster, Versatile Blogger or even a Tony. Not that I would ever see one of those. I refuse to act in public. And Broadway? Seriously – it’s better off without my absolutely horrible and semi-nonexistent acting skills. [Insert hand quotes]
They don’t have to be complicated. And, on that note, they don’t have to be announced with stars and trumpets and nuclear rockets.
But on that note – someone took the time to find my blog. And actually read my blog. Or, at least look at the pictures. I can’t say that I will do this for *every* nomination – because – well (to be honest) it’s already taken me a few hours to write [this]. Outside of recipe format – getting personal is not my forte.
And so, because people matter more than cynicism – a big shout out to Lauren Morra from CityMeetsCountry for nominating me for the Liebster Award and “X” from Icecreammagazine for nominating me for The Versatile Blogger Award. Thanks ladies!
I chose a few of the suggested questions to answer – just to give you a little more information about me; wish I had time to answer all of them!
- If you could go anywhere on a food travel adventure, where would you go? This one is easy. My husband and I are leaving at the end of the week for a seven month cross country road trip. This is my food travel adventure. 🙂
- Is there a food you loathe? I have a pretty strong stomach, so not many things make me queasy. Ok, that’s my preface. And now for my answer – (A) Scrambled Eggs, (B) Calamari/Squid – grilled, fried, sauteed, etc. It doesn’t matter if it’s freshly caught in Hawaii (true story) or bought from an “expensive” restaurant or from a bar; I hate it equally… (C) Rice *Pudding,* (D) Tapioca *Pudding,* (E) actual Milk – even when I wasn’t avoiding dairy, and (F) Thai Iced Tea.
- How do you relax? I don’t? Just kidding. I love spending some quality time with my husband or friends or Both (!).
- What is your favorite season? Spring and Fall. I love the transitional seasons 🙂
- Cocktails, wine, or beer? D. All of the above. Some favorites: Cocktails – Mojito from Talara or anything from Rye, Wine – a red by Francis Ford Coppola (good, solid wine), Beer – Pale Ale anything, preferably with fruit (Cider doesn’t count, but Pear Cider is my favorite).
As of right now, I am going to “put off” nominating another person for these Awards. I feel that the purpose of awards is simply to reach out and publicize other blogs. Which is a good thing. And no, I’m not bashing it. I’d just like to think over my options – there are so many wonderful blogs out there! Cheers to Lauren and X and the other current and future nominees 🙂